Sunday, October 23, 2011

NBC Dateline and James Arthur Ray

Recently I watched the NBC Dateline program on James Arthur Ray and the tragedy with the sweat lodge. As much as I could, I stayed neutral on the situation as far as where the fault lay. Determining fault was not my goal in watching.

http://youtu.be/RfZ6CJmUyo0

Although I had not read James Arthur Ray’s books or listened to his CDs, I was disturbed. Many of the beliefs he espouses are similar to my own beliefs. Although the metaphysical community differs somewhat, most of us believe in love over fear, manifesting by using the law of attraction, and giving to receive. Where I differ, being a licensed mental health counselor for many years is that I counsel that the client, student, participant be safe and I am careful to “do no harm.” Being an intuitive counselor I also share with clients, students, participants to follow their own internal guidance. Although I do intuitive readings, good readers are 80 – 85 % accurate and it is important that my clients listen to themselves above all. Of course, if they are mentally ill and apt to harm themselves or others, that is a different case.
What interested me the most when I watched this show is the question I had. When did their internal guidance break down? Not only the self-guidance of the participants of his workshop, but James Arthur Ray’s self-guidance as well. I wonder about the struggle within each individual between their ego and their intuitive self. At what point does your survival instinct kick in and override your ego?
I have counseled many clients who made poor decisions at the last minute, knowing fully well it was the wrong thing to do, but they did it anyway. It can happen because of peer pressure, interjects (hearing someone else’s voice in their head – usually a parent), or having a situation go on for so long, they lose the internal fight to make the right decision.  I have heard this often from clients who married when they knew they shouldn't have. The day of the wedding they knew it is the wrong move, but they did it anyway. I did that myself. Even though I loved the man and wanted to continue to be together forever, marrying into his family was not what I wanted, and living in a domestic union would have been best for us. But he asked and I said yes. Later we discussed this and he really didn’t want to either, but thought it was what he was expected to do. I am so grateful today I rarely make decisions without checking in with my intuitive self first!
How often do you make poor decisions even though your gut clearly warns you ahead of time?  Most of my private practice, my teachings and my writings are about self-healing and following and developing your internal guidance, your intuition.
 

We all have this ability, though we often give it up as children. We feel pressure from either our parents or our peers.  It may be helpful to write out some of the times you said yes, when no was clearly the right decision. Write out when you said no, when every cell in your body knew yes was the best choice. It is important to forgive yourself so you don’t make your past your future, but choose from this day on to breathe, take time to sense and make a decision balanced with your mind, your heart, and your intuitive self!

3 comments:

  1. Candess, I appreciate you sharing this as I have come to realize that my intuition is ALWAYS right though I don't always act on it! I actually heard James Arthur Ray in person and read one of his books, and I too, was surprised/shocked and devastated for the same reason as you. In fact, I think I wondered - still do at times - questions similar to the one you asked: When did their internal guidance break down? At what point does your survival instinct kick in and override your ego? That is why it is so important that we learn to be familiar with our intuition. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Elly. Thanks for sharing. Great to hear others who listen to their intuition and follow it!

    ReplyDelete