Thursday, October 6, 2011

Seasonal Affective Disorder and Moving into the Light!

When I awoke yesterday morning I noticed my dog Domingo lying in the small triangle of sunshine in the room. This spurred me to think about how important it is for us to move into the Light.


When I was a young person I often found myself in difficult situations, resisting and arguing and ending up in some pretty dark places, especially within myself. Depression was a common theme and it seems I was often angry and reactive.
Thankfully I have grown through and out of that, but I realize even today, I am extremely affected by my surroundings. The good news is I have choice where I go, who I see, and what I spend my time focusing upon.
You may relate to this as well. Many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder and their mood changes dramatically over the fall and winter months. Even if you don’t tend to be depressed, negative or reactive, you may respond this way internally if not externally.
Some of the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder are increased appetite and weight gain, increased sleep and drowsiness, social withdrawal, being lethargic, unhappiness and irritability, and loss of interest in work and other activities.
So, what does it mean to move into the Light?  I have some ideas.
  • Take time to get outdoors during the day, even for 10 – 15 minutes. Take breaks and get sunshine and fresh air to change your mood. Even standing in the rain with an umbrella can be stimulating and clear your head.
  • Engage in conversations that are fun and playful, but not at another’s expense.
  • Spend more time watching inspirational TV shows and less violence and murder.
  • Pull away from the busy-ness of the world and sit quietly and just breathe.
  • Read positive, inspirational books.
  • Spend time with those you love and focus on them. Play together, laugh together, but leave talk about the work stress for another time.
  • Write out a gratitude list. Studies show this is more effective to do weekly than daily.
For Seasonal Affective Disorder, you could also take a weekend trip to somewhere warm like Las Vegas or Reno. Trips are inexpensive and make a big difference.  After checking with your doctor you could take Vitamin D. Also, you can use Light Therapy. Light panels are available online at Amazon for under $100.  I have used them in the past and they work great! Enjoy pulling in and also getting out!

You can find one of these Light Therapy Lamps at Amazon by visiting the following link:
http://amzn.to/p5jmQN


No comments:

Post a Comment